Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Remand Center


Today I met Doreen.  I met about 160 kids, but Doreen has a piece of my heart.  She's 16 years old, and she's in prison.  We spent quite a bit of time together today (she attached herself to me for a good part of the time we were there.)  She's a really bright girl.  Her English was awesome, and she can read.  She wants desperately to go back to school.  She'd like to be a lawyer.  She's been at this remand center for 2 months. She told me that tomorrow she may get to go to court (that's the way things go around here.)  She said she will probably be released.  To the streets.  She has nowhere to go.  That sweet girl... the one I was snuggled up with on a bench just a couple hours ago, will be homeless.  That breaks my heart.  There were many heartbreaking stories today.  There will be many more. 

The kids had a blast today and we did too!  We sang and danced and played with balls and balloons.  We even had a few Twister games going on.  I'm having a horrible time uploading pictures.  This internet connection is not very good.  I have so many pictures I want to show all of you!


I'd better get back to the group now.  We are still trying to sort the donations we brought with us.  Tomorrow we will go to another children's prison and then to a school/orphange.  It will be a full day starting very early.  I'll try to update again when I can.

Please pray.


















No comments:

Post a Comment