Friday, September 2, 2011

Sometimes when God wants people on the ground in E. Africa loving on His children, He has a BOGO sale.

I don't know how to write the story God gave me today (I guess I should say yesterday as it is well past midnight.)  I know that is a crazy title to this post, but God actually did that today.

This morning I opened an email from the executive director of Visiting Orphans that said there were only 4 members on our October Uganda/Kenya team and they just can't send less than 8.  Actually, she said they don't normally send less than 8 but if 6 had signed up she would send us.  It wasn't looking like that was going to happen, so the trip had to be cancelled and maybe moved to November to see if more people might sign up for that trip.

I had been afraid this might happen since finding out a couple of weeks ago that there were so few of us signed up for this trip.  I wasn't shocked.  I knew that God wasn't shocked either, and so I was fine with the decision.  I know that God has ALL of this.  His plans are ALWAYS better than mine, and I will go back to Uganda and Kenya when He wants me to.  But... I'd be lying if I said I wasn't the teensiest bit disappointed.

The thing is, these October dates are just perfect for my work schedule.  Literally shifted one day either way, and I wouldn't have been able to work it out to go.  I didn't think that there would be any dates in November that would work out quite like these October dates did.  I was resigned to either go in December/January (which I  cannot imagine that's a good idea because I just thought it was hot in July there and that was winter) or wait until June 2012 (and I can't imagine that waiting that long is a good idea!)

This evening Doneva and I (well mostly Doneva) did a little presentation at the church where she works for a little group about our trip.  It was wonderful!  It's getting a little easier to share the stories.  Doneva told the group that I was returning in October.  I hadn't mentioned the email to her yet.  When anyone asked me about going back in October, I said "I hope to!" every time.  :-)  I wasn't being untruthful (for any of you reading here that were there.)  :-)  I was still hoping even though I knew it wouldn't be October... most likely.

When I got home tonight, I opened my computer to find another email from the executive director of Visiting Orphans.  This second email said that she had just received a call from their travel agent and that Ethiopian Airlines was having a buy-one-get-one-free sale for the dates of our trip.  The cost of my October trip just went down $1000.  Today.  The same day it was cancelled because the cost of sending just a few was too high.  This new lower price will likely allow for some others to join us on this trip, but either way Visiting Orphans can afford to send us because of this BOGO sale.

A BOGO sale that God undeniably put into place so that I may go love on His children.  In October.  I don't know why I'm surprised.  I totally expected God to arrange it all so that He may be glorified.  I totally expected Him to send me to Uganda and Kenya in His time instead of my own.

What I did NOT expect..... was a BOGO sale to make it happen.

I LOVE how our God works.  Don't you?

Would YOU like to take a trip with me?  I know that a $2500 trip is easier to make happen than a $3700 trip.  Take advantage of this and come with me!!  Go to and sign up for the October 12-24, 2011 Uganda/Kenya trip!

I cannot wait to get back to these kids!


  1. I LOVE this story and I LOVE our God!

  2. amazing Allison! thanks for your sweet comment on my blog the other day! can't wait for yalls trip coming up!!! will be praying/watching for pictures/etc! and oh yes, gladney! we love it! so excited to have our sweet baby camp! thanks for the prayers. can't wait to hear about yalls trip!!! yall going to cannans??