Friday, July 15, 2011

The Source of the Nile

During our first week in Africa, while in Uganda, we spent two days/nights in Jinja at the source of the Nile River.  It was incredible to be there and see this river I've heard about my whole life.

You can click on the pictures to enlarge them.


We stayed at the King Fisher Resort.  It was gorgeous!




There was this one incident with a gecko in my bed, but I took care of it...
That little guy was MUCH bigger than he looks in this picture.  Thank you Doneva for documenting this  moment with this photograph.  ;-)


We boarded those little boats in the picture at the beginning of this post and took a little tour of Lake Victoria to the source of the Nile.  It was so neat.  We saw MANY animals.

This lizard was the size of a alligator! 
This bird (below) is called a King Fisher.

We saw the little villages on the river.



When we got to where the Nile begins, we got out of the boats on this little island and our wonderful guide told us all about the history of how the source of the Nile was discovered.


There was a 40 foot water fall from Lake Victoria that fed the Nile at it's source way back when.  The river has since been dammed (to produce electricity.)  When the dam was built, the water level rose more than 40 feet so that the waterfall cannot be seen.  You can, however, tell that something is going on under there because of the swirling patterns you can see on top of the water.

I'm not sure you can really see it in the pictures.  It was neat to see.



I loved being there.

In other news... our luggage finally arrived sometime in the night.  The others on our team all got their bags pretty quickly.  I was beginning to worry about ours, but they got here safely.  Brenna is all dressed like she spent the last two weeks in Africa.

I'm thinking my cold just might be getting a little better too.  Yesterday and the day before I worked 12 hours each day, so I haven't really had any time to rest.  Today I'm being lazy and I may just start to feel better.  ;-)

I miss Africa...

1 comment:

  1. Love seeing the documentation of your trip. Keep them coming. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete