Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Today I'll Just Show You Some Pictures

I got sick the last day we were in Kenya.  It started with a sore throat.  Then I started coughing.  I felt pretty rotten on the flight home.  It has only gotten worse since I've been home.  I don't remember the last time I had so much snot coming out of my head.

I don't feel like reliving the hard today.  I think I'll just show you some pictures of the countries I visited.  Some are amazing.  Some are gorgeous.  Some are not.

Kenya was the most gorgeous land I've ever seen.  The pictures don't do it justice.  I don't know how you describe Africa to someone that has not been there.  I can show you pictures.  But if you can't smell and see and feel and taste and hear for yourself, you cannot understand what I experienced.  And that is just going to have to be ok.

We started in Uganda.  We landed at Entebbe and then drove to Kampala.  It was an interesting drive.




The trash was piled up by the side of the road everywhere.  Since we were driving, my pictures aren't that great.  I wish I could show you what I see in my head.



Some members of our team got some pictures of the traffic.  Apparently I did not.  It is indescribable.  It takes hours to travel just a few miles.  A two lane road turns in to a 5 lane road and no one gets anywhere.  Motorcycles get run over by buses, and cows and other livestock weave in and out of traffic trying to get out of the way of honking drivers.  No joke.  I saw it happen.  Many times.  Crazy.

We saw some beautiful countryside once we got out of the major cities.





When we got to Kenya, we began to see animals.  Not just cows and chickens in the road.  African animals.  I LOVE me some animals.

We were driving down the road and someone spotted some giraffes.  Our awesome bus driver whipped that bus around and pulled off the road.  Twenty-two crazy white women jumped off the bus and took off toward them.  AH.  MAZE.  ING.




I think I got closer than anyone.  It was so cool!  There were two adults and 3 littles.


Then we saw many zebras.  They were beautiful.



One day we walked down to the lake with about 180 children.  About a FOUR mile hike.  Up and down in the rocks and in the dirt.  No level ground to be found.  At least I put my tennis shoes on, and my ankle held up like a champ.


There were thousands of flamingos!


The kids (all 180 of them) stayed back and let us walk down and take pictures of the birds.  When their leader (an incredible young boy that carried a stick like Moses) gave them the word, they ran down to the water screaming and hollering and made the bird all fly away at once.  It was hilarious!


I'm telling you there were cows everywhere.  TONS of cows.


I was right in this dude's face when I took this picture.  He didn't like it.  Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done.


It was gorgeous!






On our way to the airport to leave to come home, we stopped at the neatest ceramic bead factory.  I'll tell you more about it another time.  Outside the factory/gift shop there were monkeys EVERYWHERE!


They didn't mind us being there until I got a little too close to this guy.  I do that a lot.  ;-)  He hissed at me a few times.  I told him to hush, but I'm thinking maybe he only understood Swahili, because he kept hissing at me. ;-)



That's all for now.  I'm off to meet a friend that is in town for a short while.  I hope you've enjoyed seeing Uganda and Kenya!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos Allison. Giraffes are my favorite animals and just yesterday I fed one. But it was at a zoo. You live a MUCH more exciting life. Love you friend.

    ReplyDelete