Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hunting and Gathering

I just got back from Mont Belvieu picking up some clothes that a friend wanted to send to Uganda.  I am definitely able to come pick up anything you may have that you'd like to send.

Yesterday I went to Dollar Tree and found a few things.  They had packages of little matchbox cars 3/$1.  So I got 45 little cars for 45 little boys.  I know they don't necessarily need little cars, but oh how I want to give these little ones the chance to just be little boys.  Little boys with their own little cars.  I also found packages of pencils and pencil sharpeners.  They do need those, so quite a few of those came home with me and made their way into a suitcase.

Another exciting thing is happening.  We found out that there isn't a flight from IAH to Dulles on the 26th early enough, so we will be flying to Washington D.C. the day before.  I've never been to D.C. and won't be there long enough this time to hit the touristy spots, but a very dear friend that I haven't seen in many many years lives close enough to come see me while I'm there (and that's better than any silly memorial.)  Some of you reading will remember Brooke Smith (Charles and Mary Ann Smith's youngest daughter.)  She lives in Maryland with her husband and two little boys.  I am SO excited to see her!

There are only 32 days left 'til I leave.  Wow.  It will be here before I know it.  I can't wait to start posting pictures for you to see.  I did learn that I may not be in any of the pictures.  The team that went in March had electricity twice. In 2 weeks.  They were able to use a hair dryer twice.  My hair is SUPER curly.  I can usually keep it pretty calm... with a diffuser.  Without it? it gets a little crazy.  This should be interesting.  I don't think I will worry much about it after I get there, but now I'm a little worried.  ;-)

For now, I'm just hunting and gathering.  Let me know if you have anything you'd like to send with me. If you have any paperback children's books that your children have outgrown, I'd love to take them to these orphanages where there are so few books the children don't even get to touch them.  I'd like to put books in their hands.  Thank you all for everything you are doing to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment